- Step 1: Arrange them on a piece of plywood cut to the shape and size of the overall artwork. In this case I cut a 5' x 4' piece of plywood.
- Step 2: Arrange 10" pieces of wood as you like on top of the plywood. Its easier to do this step before painting them. I chose pieces of similar width for each row to keep the design more uniform to the eye.
- Step 3: Think of this like a jigsaw puzzle.
- Carefully take out a few pieces at a time to paint. Number each piece with a pencil so you don't forget which part of the puzzle you took it from.
- When painting each piece, be careful not to cover the entire puzzle piece with paint. Rather brush lightly, leave some of the edges and keep imperfections. It all adds to the overall rustic look.
- Step 4: Give your new design a BIG HUG! The hard part is over!
- Step 5: Using wood glue and small nails, glue and nail each piece to the plywood.
Either leave the edges or cut edges to make clean straight sides as I did with this piece.
Hang your beautiful new piece of art!