Light Up Princess Wands
What princess is complete without a wand? Especially one that lights up?! Luckily, I have just the DIY to make all the Princess Wands your princess can handle, because they only cost around $10 to make. Because they’re so cost effective, they’re great for party favors and even for Halloween! Many thanks to actor Jon Heder (Napolean Dynamite) for the expert craft assistance!
- 10-15 pieces of tulle 6″ each – I used plain tulle and tulle with glitter that comes on a spool
- Dowel rod
- Jewels (optional)
- Glue gun
- LED lights, battery operated
- Roll out the tulle, layering one color on top the other. Add as many layers as you like.
- Fold the tulle onto itself creating 6″ squares.
- Cut the folds so that you have a stack of individual 6″ squares.
- Lay down one or two sheets of tulle, and begin to layer the LED lights through the layers of tulle. Lay one end of the LED lights on the tulle, add a few more sheets tulle, bring the lights back over the tulle, and continue until you have a stack of tulle with the string of lights.
- Fold the layers of tulle with the LED lights into an accordion and tie a piece of thin ribbon around the middle. Make sure you end up with the lights on the inside of the tulle, not the outside!
- Trim the ends of the tulle so that the edges are even.
- Wrap the remaining light wire around the tulle and secure the battery pack with glue. **Make sure you remove the plastic strip from the battery pack before the next step!**
- Separate all the layers of tulle to make a puff ball and arrange the LED lights accordingly.
- Wrap the dowel rod with ribbon by gluing the ribbon at the tip of the dowel and winding it down to the bottom. Secure the end with a bit of glue.
- Glue on a shiny bead to finish off the end. **If you have very small children, you’ll obviously want to eliminate any gems that could fall off and become a choking hazard**
- Cut 4-7″ strips of various ribbons and lace, attach to the top of the dowel by tying them in knots.
- Glue the dowel rod to the battery pack and the nearest layers of tulle so it’s firmly secure.
- Any additional embellishments you like flowers and gems.
- Hold in place until the glue is cool and has hardened.
Turn on the switch and watch the magic begin!!