Custom Door Mats
Creating a custom door mat is a fun craft you can complete in an hour or less! Aren’t the little bunny tails just the cutest? I did these door mats in an Easter theme but you can make them for any holiday, in any pattern or just let the kids go crazy! The great thing is they hold up over time. I placed one of these mats at my own front door and it’s held up after a full year. Give it a good sweep and touch up the paint at any time if it starts to fade.
- Sisal Door Mat
- Stencils – you can create your own too!
- Spray Paint – for larger areas and stencils
- Acrylic Paint – for smaller or intricate designs
- X-acto Knife – if making your own stencils
- Paint Brushes
- Painter’s Tape
- E6000 Glue
- Small Rocks
- Newspaper or Construction Paper
- Lay out your stencils once you have your design
- Stabilize the stencil with small rocks (for me, this worked better than trying to tape down the stencil)
- Protect the area outside of the stencil from overspray with the newspaper or construction paper
- Spray paint the opening of the stencil
- Repeat until your design is complete, let dry
- If your design include stripes, use painter’s tape to mark off the stripes.
- Apply first coast, let dry. Repeat until the sisal is completed coated in paint. (For the egg, I found it easier to spray paint the entire egg shape using a stencil. Then once dry, I taped off the stripes and painted with a brush.)
- Glue on any embellishments, such as the bunny tail
- Once dry, place at your door and enjoy!
Watch how I created mine HERE